Supplemental Patient Care Tech C Job
Date: Sep 5, 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD, US
Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
Location: Baltimore, MD Shift/Schedule: ROTATING
Department: UMH: Supplement Staffing
Posted FTE: 0
Job Posting Category: Nursing
Hours of Work: 7a-7p
Job ID #: 22078
Benefits Eligible: No
Minimum Education: High School Diploma
License/Cert Required: Cert Basic Cardiac Life Supprt,Cert Nursing Assistant
Minimum Experience: Not Indicated
Specialty Type: Not Applicable
What You Will Do:
* Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse and in accordance with the Nursing Care Plan performs delegated competency validated patient care functions and applies technical skills of a limited uncomplicated nature.
* Establishes and maintains courteous and effective relationships with patients, visitors, co-workers, and other members of the health care team; demonstrates sensitivity and awareness to the needs of patients, visitors and co-workers and responds promptly to verbal and/or written instructions.
* Initiates CPR procedures.
* Identifies, records, and reports overt findings to the Registered Nurse concerning the physical and mental condition of a patient.
* Assists nurses in assembling equipment and in performing various treatments and tests.
* Administers and changes routine dressings to stage one and two wounds, surgical incisions, and peripheral IV sites after assessment by a Registered Nurse.
* Provides direct patient care which includes bathing, making beds, feeding, oral hygiene, giving shampoos, turning and positioning patients, and the like.
* Gathers equipment required to, and initiates placement IV for the patient as directed by the registered nurse.
* Performs venipuncture for drawing blood samples and established IV access.
* Performs urinary bladder catheterization for temporary or permanent placement and implements catheter care in stable patients as delegated by the registered nurse.
* Cleans, sterilizes, and appropriately cares for equipment and instruments in accordance with operational procedure.
* Administers enteral tube feedings via nasogastric or gastrostomy tubes, as supervised by registered nurse.
* Sets up and operates multiple lead EKG machines; attaches and removes EKG leads; runs a rhythm strip.
* Performs chest physical therapy, tracheal suctioning, tracheostomy care and incentive spirometry treatments as delegated and supervised by the responsible registered nurse.
* Performs minor housekeeping tasks to keep patient areas in a clean and sanitary condition; recognizes, reports, or corrects environmental conditions, which may jeopardize patient safety and well being.
* May perform related and delegated tasks, which include admission and/or discharge assistance, setting up special equipment, taking and relaying messages, procuring equipment, and running errands.
* Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
* Attends all mandatory hospital in-service training including CPR instructional training.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Completion of High School level of course work with attainment of HS diploma or a State High School Equivalency Certificate (GED). Current State of Maryland Board of Nursing -Nursing Assistant Certification. Current CPR card. Six months of prior direct , patient care work experience in a health care faciility.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Nearest Major Market: Baltimore
Job Segments: Patient Care, Housekeeping, Temporary, Registered Nurse, Healthcare, Hospitality, Contract